The CMH Guide for October 2018:
Movie Screenings, TV Schedules, Contests and More!
Welcome to our monthly ‘CMH Guide’ for Classics! And welcome October! We’re hoping this classic movie and TV guide will help you plan some classic viewing fun… If we’re missing a classic channel, just let us know and we’ll be happy to add it!
- Star of the Month: RITA HAYWORTH! From dancing to dramas, from musicals to noirs, Rita was much more than a stunning beauty- she could do it all. Celebrate her 100th birthday with a collection of her films every Tuesday in October. Full schedule here.
- Funny Ladies- Thursdays in October! Hosted by TCM fave Ileana Douglas as she chats with legendary Carol Burnett. From silents to contemporaries, the two will highlight the funniest ladies ever to grace the screen. Full schedule here.
- THE MUMMY on Sundays. Get wrapped up in some horrifically good flicks for this month’s Monster of the Month, from the silent to the 70s. How to ‘get your gauze on’.
- On Wednesdays, TCM salutes HORROR STARS by honoring 5 reigning kings of the genre. In order: Lon Chaney, Christopher Lee, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, and Vincent Price will each have their own night of creepy classics. For a full list click here.
- On Monday, Oct. 15th, Leonard Maltin once again brings us Treasures From the Disney Vault with a showcase of a variety of Disney classics.
For more info about what’s playing on TCM this month, visit the TCM Movie Schedule at CMH here.
FilmStruck… subscription needed…
- Contests: Check in for a new contest coming soon!
- Films and Featured Collections: Fresh content added in this month’s library including Stars Of The Week like Debbie Reynolds, Cinematography by Gregg Toland, Directors such as HC Potter, and so much more!
- Podcast: Alicia Malone hosts a lively podcast with fascinating guests…
- FilmStruck Forum: CMH just launched our monthly FilmStruck Column – join the conversation!
Especially for CMH Fans:) a 30-Day Free Filmstruck Trial…
The Neil Simon Blogathon (Oct 13 – 14)
100 Years Of Rita Hayworth Blogathon (Oct 17 – 19)
From The Stars To A Star: Celebrating Dolores Hart (Oct 18 – 20)
The 2nd Disability In Film Blogathon (Oct 24 – 26)
For a full listing of Blogathons, click here. Or add your own and we will help promote it.
TCM Parties for October… Follow along and live tweet using the #TCMParty hashtag
- The Unknown (1927) Oct 3 at 8pm ET
- Horror Of Dracula (1958) Oct 10 at 10pm ET
- Island Of Lost Souls (1932) Oct 29 at 8pm ET
- House Of Wax (1953) Oct 31 at 8pm ET
Get To Know the Classic Columns! CMH is host to some of the savviest niche writers in Classic Film today- from Film Noir, Musicals, Westerns, Pre-Code, Silents and more! You can explore all the fabulous monthly columns and special contributors here.
This month, we feature Annette of Classic Movie Travels. (You may recognize her from current TCM Backlots tv commercials.) Annette Bochenek of Chicago, Illinois, is a PhD student at Dominican University and an independent scholar of Hollywood’s Golden Age. She manages the Hometowns to Hollywood blog, in which she writes about her trips exploring the legacies and hometowns of Golden Age stars. Annette also hosts the “Hometowns to Hollywood” film series throughout the Chicago area. She has been featured on Turner Classic Movies and is the president of TCM Backlot’s Chicago chapter. In addition to writing for Classic Movie Hub, she also writes for Silent Film Quarterly, Nostalgia Digest, and Chicago Art Deco Society Magazine. See all of Annette’s CMH Articles Here
- Pluto TV is like an old-school TV set — you flip through the channels to see what’s on. The good news is that the service is FREE, and they have a Classic Movie Channel and a Classic TV Channel – among other fun channels. Would love to know what you think…
- Classic Movie Channel
- Classic TV Channel
- A mix of classics and newer films can be found in the Movies TV Network schedule (which also includes more recent films).
- Check out the Sunday Night Noir every week! Here’s Where to Watch.
GetTV… Classic Movies and Retro TV…
- For the full schedule click here.
- Navigate show listing and movie listing links to preview scheduling.
- Where to watch.
- You can stream lots of classic TV shows for free (and on demand) here including the complete MeTV schedule and Where to watch.
- The Antenna TV schedule includes a nice listing of shows and their air times (easier to read) and Where to Watch.
Fathom Events “TCM Big Screen Classics”… movies on the Big Screen at select theaters nationwide…
- Contest: Win Tickets to see “Die Hard” (Giveaway runs through October 27)
- For the full schedule of ‘TCM Big Screen Classic’ movie screenings, visit the Fathom Events listing at CMH here.
Go Local! Discover Movie Screenings and Events in your Neighborhood and across the US…
Classic Films on the big screen, Film Festivals and more can be found across the country. For example,
- New York
- North Carolina
- New Hampshire
- Nationwide via Fathom Events
If we’re missing a ‘classic movie’ theater or event in your neighborhood, please let us know!
And of course our Monthly Contests! Including:
- Win Tickets to see “Die Hard” Fathom “TCM Big Screen Classics” – we have 8 pairs of tix to giveaway (contest ends Oct 27)
- Kino Lorber DVDs and Blu-Rays (contest ends Oct 13) — 12 prizes in all, winner’s choice of four titles – Trapeze, The Farmer’s Daughter, A Strange Adventure, and I Walk Alone. Check back on this Blog on Sept 10 for details.
- Abbott and Costello Meet the Monsters Collection on DVD — we’ll be giving away three copies of this frightfully funny DVD collection – check back on this blog on Oct 8!
–Annmarie Gatti for Classic Movie Hub