The CMH Guide for November 2018:
Movie Screenings, TV Schedules, Contests and More!
Welcome to our monthly ‘CMH Guide’ for Classics! And welcome November! We’re hoping this classic movie and TV guide will help you plan some classic viewing fun… If we’re missing a classic channel, just let us know and we’ll be happy to add it!
- Star of the Month: Glenda Farrell! She performed in over 100 roles across stage, tv, and films with a majority of these in the 1930s as a character actor staple of the Warner Bros. musicals, melodramas and gangster films. From her first taste of the stage at age seven, she embraced hard work and excelled at delivering sass. Most notably, she was best known for popular take on the fast-talking reporter Torchy Blane. Enjoy a collection of her films every Monday in October. Full schedule here.
- The Art of Casting- Tuesdays in November! Hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, casting directors David Rubin and Juliet Taylor join the discussion in the art of casting talent as reflected via 14 iconic films.
- Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers TCM takes a look at the women filmmakers who made history during primetime on the first 2 Thursdays in November, followed by a showcase of Female Directors during the daytime scheduling on Wednesday, Nov. 7th. Hosted by Alicia Malone with guests Illeana Douglas and Dr. Karen Ward Mahar.
- On Veterans Day, November 11th, TCM salutes our brave servicemen and women as they invite veterans of the US Armed Forces to introduce and chat a favorite film.
For more info about what’s playing on TCM this month, visit the TCM Movie Schedule at CMH here.
- CMH was very saddened to hear the disheartening news that FilmStruck will shut down by month’s end. We encourage you to consider signing the Change.Org petition to try and convince ATT and Warner Bros to keep it running.
Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Blogathon (Nov 8 – 10th)
The “They Remade What?!” Blogathon (Nov 9 -11th)
The Claude Rains Blogathon (Nov 9 – 11th)
The 4th Wonderful Grace Kelly Blogathon (Nov 11- 12th)
The Greatest Film I’ve Never Seen Blogathon (Nov 16 – 18th)
The Rock Hudson Blogathon (Nov 17 – 19th)
For a full listing of Blogathons, click here. Or add your own and we will help promote it.
TCM Parties for November… Follow along and live tweet using the #TCMParty hashtag
Get To Know the Classic Columns! CMH is host to some of the savviest niche writers in Classic Film today- from Film Noir, Musicals, Westerns, Pre-Code, Silents and more! You can explore all the fabulous monthly columns and special contributors here.
This month, we feature Karen of Noir Nook. Karen Burroughs Hannsberry is the author of the Shadows and Satin blog, which focuses on movies and performers from the film noir and pre-Code eras, and the editor-in-chief of The Dark Pages, a bimonthly newsletter devoted to all things film noir. Karen is also the author of two books on film noir – Femme Noir: The Bad Girls of Film and Bad Boys: The Actors of Film Noir. She is a member of the Classic Movie Blogs Association, the Large Association of Movie Blogs, and the Vintage Association of Motion Picture Blogs. She is the mother of two daughters, both raised on a steady diet of classic films. You can read more of Karen’s articles at Shadows and Satin, The Dark Pages Newsletter on Facebook or by following her on twitter at @TheDarkPages. See all of Karen’s CMH Articles Here…..
Pluto TV… Would love to know what you think of this free streaming movie service… There’s a reason 🙂
- Pluto TV is like an old-school TV set — you flip through the channels to see what’s on. The good news is that the service is FREE, and they have a Classic Movie Channel and a Classic TV Channel – among other fun channels. Would love to know what you think
- Classic Movie Channel
- Classic TV Channel
Movies TV Network…
- A mix of classics and newer films can be found in the Movies TV Network schedule (which also includes more recent films).
- Check out the Sunday Night Noir every week! Here’s Where to Watch.
GetTV… Classic Movies and Retro TV…
- For the full schedule click here.
- Navigate show listing and movie listing links to preview scheduling.
- Where to watch.
- You can stream lots of classic TV shows for free (and on demand) here including the complete MeTV schedule and Where to watch.
Fathom Events “TCM Big Screen Classics”… movies on the Big Screen at select theaters nationwide…
Contest: Win Tickets to see “TCM Big Screen Classics: WHITE CHRISTMAS (Giveaway runs through Nov 24th)
For the full schedule of ‘TCM Big Screen Classic’ movie screenings, visit the Fathom Events listing at CMH here.
Go Local! Discover Movie Screenings and Events in your Neighborhood and across the US…
Classic Films on the big screen, Film Festivals and more can be found across the country. For example,
▪ New York
▪ North Carolina
▪ New Hampshire
▪ Nationwide via Fathom Events
If we’re missing a ‘classic movie’ theater or event in your neighborhood, please let us know!
- Kino Lorber DVDs and Blu-Rays — 12 prizes in all, winner’s choice of four titles – A Bullet for Joey, No Orchids for Miss Blandish, Daisy Kenyon, A Kiss Before Dying. Check back on this Blog for details.
- Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers — we’re giving away 3 copies of this wonderful box set (DVD or Blu-Ray. Check back on this Blog for details.
- Clarence Brown: Hollywood’s Forgotten Master — we’re giving away 6 copies of the new Clarence Brown biography, from now through Dec 8. Click here to enter.
- Frances Langford: Armed Forces Sweetheart — we’re giving away 10 copies , from now through Dec 8. Click here to enter.
–Annmarie Gatti for Classic Movie Hub