About the Book:
WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE CASABLANCA: THE LIFE, LEGEND AND AFTERLIFE OF HOLLYWOOD'S MOST BELOVED MOVIE
Celebrating the 75th anniversary of its premiere, this is the incredible story of how Casablanca was made and why it remains the most beloved of Hollywood films.
Casablanca was first released in 1942, just two weeks after the city of Casablanca itself surrendered to American troops led by General Patton. Featuring a pitch-perfect screenplay, a classic soundtrack, and unforgettable performances by Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, and a deep supporting cast, Casablanca was hailed in the New York Times as “a picture that makes the spine tingle and the heart take a leap.” The film won Oscars for best picture, best director, and best screenplay, and would go on to enjoy more revival screenings than any other movie in history. It became so firmly ensconced in the cultural imagination that, as Umberto Eco once said, Casablanca is “not one movie; it is ‘movies.’ ”
We’ll Always Have Casablanca is celebrated film historian Noah Isenberg’s rich account of this most beloved movie’s origins. Through extensive research and interviews with filmmakers, film critics, family members of the cast and crew, and diehard fans, Isenberg reveals the myths and realities behind Casablanca’s production, exploring the transformation of the unproduced stage play into the classic screenplay, the controversial casting decisions, the battles with Production Code censors, and the effect of the war’s progress on the movie’s reception. Isenberg particularly focuses on the central role refugees from Hitler’s Europe played in the production (nearly all of the actors and actresses cast in Casablanca were immigrants).
Finally, Isenberg turns to Casablanca’s long afterlife and the reasons it remains so revered. From the Marx Brothers’ 1946 spoof hit, A Night in Casablanca, to loving parodies in New Yorker cartoons, Saturday Night Live skits, and Simpsons episodes, Isenberg delves into the ways the movie has lodged itself in the American psyche.
Filled with fresh insights into Casablanca’s creation, production, and legacy, We’ll Always Have Casablanca is a magnificent account of what made the movie so popular and why it continues to dazzle audiences seventy-five years after its release.
TO ENTER (Ten Chances to Win):
1) Visit us at the Classic Movie Hub (CMH) Blog here
for the contest announcement, or watch for our contest announcements on twitter at @ClassicMovieHub
or on Facebook
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the specified contest week.
Two winners will be chosen at random at the end of each specified contest week and announced on the Blog, Twitter and/or Facebook the following day (depending on how the winner entered the contest).
Two prizes will be given away each specified contest week during the contest period, for a total giveaway of ten books within five weeks.
ELIGIBILITY for both versions of contest:
* Limited to Continental United States (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and the territory of Puerto Rico) only.
* Must be eighteen (18) years old and over as of the date of entry.
* Only one Prize per winner.
* BlogHub Bloggers are eligible to enter.
* Giveaway starts as noted above, and ends as noted above at midnight EST or when all Prizes are exhausted (whichever comes first).
* Each winner will be notified by email, Twitter DM or Facebook and will have 48 hours to respond with their shipping information or a new winner may be chosen. If any Prize or Prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the winner may be disqualified, and an alternate winner may be selected.
* Prizes will ship directly after the contest period is over. Please allow up to 2 to 4 weeks for Prize delivery.Classic Movie Hub is not responsible for Prizes lost or stolen.
*Family of Classic Movie Hub are not eligible for entry.