About the book:
Stella! Mother Of Modern Acting
Arthur Miller decided to become a playwright after seeing her perform with the Group Theater. Marlon Brando attributed his acting to her genius as a teacher. Theater critic Robert Brustein calls her the greatest acting teacher in America.
Stella's emphasis on experiencing a role through the actions in the given circumstances of the work directs actors toward a deep sociological understanding of the imagined characters: their social class, geographic upbringing, biography, which enlarges the actors creative choices. Always onstage, Stella's flamboyant personality disguised a deep sense of not belonging. Her unrealized dream of becoming a movie star chafed against an unflagging commitment to the transformative power of art.
For this book, Sheana Ochoa worked alongside Irene Gilbert, Stellas friend of 30 years, who provided Ochoa with a trove of Stellas personal and pedagogical materials, and Ochoa interviewed Stellas entire living family, including her daughter Ellen; her colleagues and friends, from Arthur Miller to Karl Malden; and her students from Robert De Niro to Mark Ruffalo. Unearthing countless unpublished letters and interviews, private audio recordings, Stellas extensive FBI file, class videos and private audio recordings, Ochoa's biography introduces one of the most under recognized, yet most influential luminaries of the 20th century.
Read more about Stella: Mother of Modern Acting" on Sheana's Blog Stella Adler: A Life in Art
TWO WAYS TO ENTER:
TO ENTER via TWITTER (Four Chances to Win):
1) Follow @ClassicMovieHub
on twitter for further instructions
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the contest week
3) Tweet the correct answer to a special trivia question on Saturday night**
Be the FIRST PERSON to successfully complete the qualifying entry task AND correctly tweet the answer to the trivia question for the given contest week.
One book will be given away each Saturday** during the contest period, for a total giveaway of four books within four weeks.
TO ENTER via FACEBOOK or the CMH Blog (Two Chances to Win):
1) Visit us on Facebook
or the CMH Blog
for further instructions on how to enter
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the specified contest period (there will be two separate contest periods).
3) One winner will be chosen at random at the end of each contest period.
One winner will be chosen at random at the end of each contest period (for a total of two winners, one for each contest period).
One book will be given away during each contest period, for a total giveaway of two books within four weeks.
ELIGIBILITY for both versions of contest (Twitter and Facebook/Blog):
* Limited to Continental United States residents (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and the territory of Puerto Rico) and Canada residents.
* Must be eighteen (18) years old and over as of the date of entry.
* Only one book per winner.
* BlogHub Bloggers are eligible to enter.
* Giveaway starts Monday May 5, 2014 and ends on Saturday May 31, 2014 at midnight EST or when all prizes are exhausted (whichever comes first).
* Each winner will be notified by email, Twitter DM or Facebook and will have 48 hours to respond with their shipping information or a new winner may be chosen. If any Prize or Prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the winner may be disqualified, and an alternate winner may be selected.
* Prizes will ship directly after the contest period is over. Please allow up to 2 to 4 weeks for prize delivery.Classic Movie Hub is not responsible for prizes lost or stolen.
* Friends and Family of Classic Movie Hub are not eligible for entry.
* Classic Movie Hub was not paid for this giveaway or post.
**The final trivia question dates for the Twitter contests are subject to change, but, if changed, will be announced on Twitter and the CMH Blog.