About the book:
Red Hot Mama: The Life of Sophie Tucker
The “First Lady of Show Business” and the “Last of the Red Hot Mamas,” Sophie Tucker was a star in vaudeville, radio, film, and television. A gutsy, song-belting stage performer, she entertained audiences for sixty years and inspired a host of younger women, including Judy Garland, Carol Channing, and Bette Midler. Tucker was a woman who defied traditional expectations and achieved success on her own terms, becoming the first female president of the American Federation of Actors and winning many other honors usually bestowed on men. Dedicated to social justice, she advocated for African Americans in the entertainment industry and cultivated friendships with leading black activists and performers. Tucker was also one of the most generous philanthropists in show business, raising over four million dollars for the religious and racial causes she held dear.
Drawing from the hundreds of scrapbooks Tucker compiled, Red Hot Mama presents a compelling biography of this larger-than-life performer. Lauren Rebecca Sklaroff tells an engrossing story of how a daughter of Russian Jewish immigrants set her sights on becoming one of the most formidable women in show business and achieved her version of the American dream. More than most of her contemporaries, Tucker understood how to keep her act fresh, to change branding when audiences grew tired and, most importantly, how to connect with her fans, the press, and entertainment moguls. Both deservedly famous and unjustly forgotten today, Tucker stands out as an exemplar of the immigrant experience and a trailblazer for women in the entertainment industry.
TWO WAYS TO ENTER:
TO ENTER via TWITTER (Five Chances to Win):
1) Follow @ClassicMovieHub
on twitter for further instructions.
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the contest week.
Winner(s) will be chosen at random at the end of each specified contest week. Winner(s) will be announced on Twitter the day after the contest week ends.
One book will be given away each specified contest week during the contest period, for a total giveaway of five books within five weeks.
TO ENTER via FACEBOOK or the CMH Blog (One Chance to Win):
1) Visit us on Facebook
or the CMH Blog
for further instructions on how to enter.
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the specified contest period.
One winner will be chosen at random at the end of the contest period. The winner will be announced on Facebook and the Blog one day after the contest period ends.
One book will be given away during the contest period, for a total giveaway of one book within five weeks.
ELIGIBILITY for both versions of contest (Twitter and Facebook/Blog):
* Limited to Continental United States residents (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and the territory of Puerto Rico).
* Must be eighteen (18) years old and over as of the date of entry.
* Only one book per winner.
* BlogHub Bloggers are eligible to enter.
* Giveaway starts Monday April 2, 2018 and ends on Saturday May 5, 2018 at midnight EST or when all prizes are exhausted (whichever comes first).
* Each winner will be notified by email, Twitter DM or Facebook and will have 48 hours to respond with their shipping information or a new winner may be chosen. If any Prize or Prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the winner may be disqualified, and an alternate winner may be selected.
* Prizes will ship directly after the contest period is over. Please allow up to 2 to 4 weeks for prize delivery.Classic Movie Hub is not responsible for prizes lost or stolen.
* Family of Classic Movie Hub are not eligible for entry.