About the book:
Harry Langdon: King of Silent Comedy
Among silent film comedians, three names stand out―Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, and Harold Lloyd―but Harry Langdon indisputably deserves to sit among them as the fourth "king." In films such as The Strong Man (1926) and Long Pants (1927), Langdon parlayed his pantomime talents, expressive eyes, and childlike innocence into silent-era stardom. This in-depth biography, which features behind-the-scenes accounts and personal recollections compiled by Langdon's late wife, provides a full and thoughtful picture of this multifaceted entertainer and his meteoric rise and fall.
Authors Gabriella Oldham and Mabel Langdon explore how the actor developed and honed his comedic skills in amateur shows, medicine shows, and vaudeville. Together they survey his early work on the stage at the turn of the twentieth century as well as his iconic routines and characters. They also evaluate his failures from the early sound period, including his decision to part ways with director Frank Capra. Despite his dwindling popularity following the introduction of talkies, Langdon persevered and continued to perform in theater, radio, and film―literally until his dying day―leaving behind a unique and brilliant body of work.
Featuring never-before-published stories and photos from his immediate family, this biography is a fascinating and revealing look at an unsung silent film giant.He's Got Rhythm is a balanced and compelling view of one of the screen's enduring legends.
TWO WAYS TO ENTER:
TO ENTER via TWITTER (Five Chances to Win):
1) Follow @ClassicMovieHub
on twitter for further instructions.
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the contest week.
Winner(s) will be chosen at random at the end of each specified contest week. Winner(s) will be announced on Twitter the day after the contest week ends.
One book will be given away each specified contest week during the contest period, for a total giveaway of five books within five weeks.
TO ENTER via FACEBOOK or the CMH Blog (One Chance to Win):
1) Visit us on Facebook
or the CMH Blog
for further instructions on how to enter.
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the specified contest period.
One winner will be chosen at random at the end of the contest period. The winner will be announced on Facebook and the Blog one day after the contest period ends.
One book will be given away during the contest period, for a total giveaway of one book within five weeks.
ELIGIBILITY for both versions of contest (Twitter and Facebook/Blog):
* Limited to Continental United States residents (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and the territory of Puerto Rico).
* Must be eighteen (18) years old and over as of the date of entry.
* Only one book per winner.
* BlogHub Bloggers are eligible to enter.
* Giveaway starts Monday July 3, 2017 and ends on Saturday August 5, 2017 at midnight EST or when all prizes are exhausted (whichever comes first).
* Each winner will be notified by email, Twitter DM or Facebook and will have 48 hours to respond with their shipping information or a new winner may be chosen. If any Prize or Prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the winner may be disqualified, and an alternate winner may be selected.
* Prizes will ship directly after the contest period is over. Please allow up to 2 to 4 weeks for prize delivery.Classic Movie Hub is not responsible for prizes lost or stolen.
* Family of Classic Movie Hub are not eligible for entry.