About the CD:
FLEISCHEREI: Music From Max Fleischer Cartoons
Next to Walt Disney, Max Fleischer is the best known cartoonist of the 20th century, creating and contributing to American culture the one and only BETTY BOOP. In addition to creating Betty, Fleischer Studios brought the newspaper comic Popeye the Sailor and the cast there to (animated) life.
Fleischer cartoons were very different from Disney cartoons. The Fleischer approach was sophisticated, focused on surrealism, dark humor, adult psychological elements and sexuality. The Fleischer milieu was grittier & more urban, often set in squalid tenement apartments with cracked, crumbling plaster and threadbare furnishings. Even the jazz music on Fleischer's soundtracks was rawer, saucier and more genuinely reflective of the times.
Guitarist Gary Lucas (Captain Beefheart, Jeff Buckley) has long been a fan of Fleischer's work and has long wished to develop a project to present the music that was used in these cartoons (some of it written for the cartoons, but most of them standards of the 20s and 30s). With FLEISCHEREI, he has done exactly that.
FLEISCHEREI is a loving musical tribute to the swinging, jazzy soundtracks that adorned animation genius MAX FLEISCHER'S surreal and wacky BETTY BOOP and POPEYE cartoons of the 1930's. Featuring Gary Lucas on guitar, Tony Award Nominee Sarah Stiles on vocals, and the cream of New York City jazz musicians, FLEISCHEREI is a swirling musical melting-pot of jungle-band jazz, Tin Pan Alley torch songs, and raucous vaudeville turns.
For more information about Gary, you can visit GaryLucas.com or follow him on twitter at @LucasGary
1. Sweet Betty
2. Don't Take My Boop-Oop-a-Doop Away
3. That's My Weakness Now
4. I Want a Clean Shaven Man
5. Penthouse Serenade (When We're Alone)
6. The Broken Record
7. The Music Goes 'Round and Around
8. Ain't Cha
9. Brotherly Love
10. Little Pal
11. Do Something
12. Beware of Barnacle Bill
TO ENTER via TWITTER (Four Chances to Win):
1) Follow @ClassicMovieHub
on twitter for further instructions
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the contest week
One winner will be chosen at random at the end of each specified contest week. The winner will be announced on Twitter the day after the contest week ends
One CD will be given away each specified contest week during the contest period, for a total giveaway of four CDs within four weeks.
IF YOU'RE NOT ON TWITTER:
1) Visit us on the CMH Blog
for the contest announcement.
2) Follow the instructions in the blog post so that you can be included in the Twitter drawing as noted above.
ELIGIBILITY for both versions of contest (Twitter and Facebook/Blog):
* Limited to Continental United States (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and the territory of Puerto Rico) only.
* Must be eighteen (18) years old and over as of the date of entry.
* Only one CD per winner.
* BlogHub Bloggers are eligible to enter.
* Giveaway starts Monday February 29, 2016 and ends on Saturday March 26, 2016 at midnight EST or when all prizes are exhausted (whichever comes first).
* Each winner will be notified by email, Twitter DM or Facebook and will have 48 hours to respond with their shipping information or a new winner may be chosen. If any Prize or Prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the winner may be disqualified, and an alternate winner may be selected.
* Prizes will ship directly after the contest period is over. Please allow up to 2 to 4 weeks for prize delivery.Classic Movie Hub is not responsible for prizes lost or stolen.
*Family of Classic Movie Hub are not eligible for entry.