About the book:
Charlie Chaplin: A Brief Life
From award-winning biographer, historian, and novelist, comes Peter Ackroyd's CHARLIE CHAPLIN: A Brief Life, a brief yet definitive new biography of one of film's greatest legends.
He was the very first icon of the silver screen and is one of the most recognizable of Hollywood faces, even a hundred years after his first film. But who was the man behind the moustache? What drove the artist who not only directed the films but held the camera and acted in front of it?
Peter Ackroyd's new biography turns the spotlight on Chaplin's often controversial life as well as on his classic films, from his humble theatrical beginnings in music halls to winning an honorary Academy Award. Everything is here, from the glamour of his golden age to the murky scandals of the 1940s and eventual exile to Switzerland. This masterful brief biography offers fresh revelations about one of the most familiar faces of the last century and brings the Little Tramp vividly to life.
"Ackroyd rewards his readers with a tale fit for a Chaplin film, featuring humor, tragedy and a poignant fade-out." —Associated Press
"In his typically elegant and measured prose, prize-winning biographer Ackroyd brilliantly brings Chaplin to life ... Ackroyd’s book introduces the Little Tramp in such a charming and candid fashion that it will drive movie buffs to watch Chaplin on screen once again."
—Publishers Weekly, starred review
"Ackroyd exposes the hidden truths in Chaplin's life that help us to understand the artist both personally and professionally. An exceptional read."
About the Author: PETER ACKROYD is the author of London: A Biography, Albion: The Origins of the English Imagination, Shakespeare: The Biography, and Thames: The Biography. He has written acclaimed biographies of T.S. Eliot, Dickens, Blake, and Sir Thomas More as well as several successful novels. He has won the Whitbread Book Award for Biography, the Royal Society of Literature's William Heinemann Award, the James Tait Black Memorial Prize, the Guardian Fiction Prize, the Somerset Maugham Award, and the South Bank Award for Literature.
TWO WAYS TO ENTER:
TO ENTER via TWITTER (Nine Chances to Win):
1) Follow @ClassicMovieHub
on twitter for further instructions
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the contest period.
Winner(s) will be chosen at random at the end of each specified contest week within the contest period. Winner(s) will be announced on Twitter the day after each specified contest week ends.
One or two books will be given away during each specified contest week within the the contest period, for a total giveaway of nine books within six weeks.
TO ENTER via FACEBOOK or the CMH Blog (Three Chances to Win):
1) Visit us on Facebook
or the CMH Blog
for further instructions on how to enter
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the specified contest period.
Three winners will be chosen at random at the end of the contest period. The winners will be announced on Facebook and the Blog one day after the contest period ends.
Three books will be given away during the contest period, for a total giveaway of three books within six weeks.
ELIGIBILITY for both versions of contest (Twitter and Facebook/Blog):
* Limited to Continental United States (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and the territory of Puerto Rico) and Canadian residents.
* Must be eighteen (18) years old and over as of the date of entry.
* Only one book per winner.
* BlogHub Bloggers are eligible to enter.
* Giveaway starts Monday November 24, 2014 and ends on Friday January 2, 2015 at midnight EST or when all prizes are exhausted (whichever comes first).
* Each winner will be notified by email, Twitter DM or Facebook and will have 48 hours to respond with their shipping information or a new winner may be chosen. If any Prize or Prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the winner may be disqualified, and an alternate winner may be selected.
* Prizes will ship directly after the contest period is over. Please allow up to 2 to 4 weeks for prize delivery.Classic Movie Hub is not responsible for prizes lost or stolen.
* Friends and Family of Classic Movie Hub are not eligible for entry.
* Classic Movie Hub was not paid for this giveaway or post.