About the book:
Cosby: His Life and Times
The first major biography of an American icon, comedian Bill Cosby. Based on extensive research and in-depth interviews with Cosby and more than sixty of his closest friends and associates, it is a frank, fun and fascinating account of his life and historic legacy.
Far from the gentle worlds of his routines or TV shows, Cosby grew up in a Philadelphia housing project, the son of an alcoholic, largely absent father and a loving but overworked mother. With novelistic detail, award winning journalist Mark Whitaker tells the story of how, after dropping out of high school, Cosby turned his life around by joining the Navy, talking his way into college, and seizing his first breaks as a stand-up comedian.
Published on the 30th anniversary of The Cosby Show, the book reveals the behind-the-scenes story of that groundbreaking sitcom as well as Cosby’s bestselling albums, breakout role on I Spy, and pioneering place in children’s TV. But it also deals with professional setbacks and personal dramas, from an affair that sparked public scandal to the murder of his only son, and the private influence of his wife of fifty years, Camille Cosby.
Whitaker explores the roots of Cosby’s controversial stands on race, as well as “the Cosby effect” that helped pave the way for a black president. For any fan of Bill Cosby’s work, and any student of American television, comedy, or social history, Cosby: His Life and Times is an essential read.
For more information about Cosby: His Life and Times, you can follow Mark on twitter at @MarkTWhitaker or on his Facebook Page, MarkWhitakerAuthor.
TWO WAYS TO ENTER:
TO ENTER via TWITTER (Four Chances to Win):
1) Follow @ClassicMovieHub
on twitter for the contest announcements.
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the specified contest week.
One winner will be chosen at random at the end of each contest week.
One book will be given away each contest week during the contest period, for a total giveaway of four books within four weeks.
TO ENTER via FACEBOOK or the CMH Blog (Two Chances to Win):
1) Visit us on Facebook
or the CMH Blog
for the contest announcements.
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the specified contest period.
One winner will be chosen at random at the end of each contest period.
One book will be given away during each contest period, for a total giveaway of two books within two weeks.
ELIGIBILITY for both versions of contest (Twitter and Facebook/Blog):
* Limited to Continental United States residents (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and the territory of Puerto Rico) and Canadian residents**.
* Must be eighteen (18) years old and over as of the date of entry.
* Only one book per winner.
* BlogHub Bloggers are eligible to enter.
* Giveaway starts Monday September 1, 2014 and ends on Tuesday September 30, 2014 at midnight EST or when all prizes are exhausted (whichever comes first).
* Each winner will be notified by email, Twitter DM or Facebook and will have 48 hours to respond with their shipping information or a new winner may be chosen. If any Prize or Prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the winner may be disqualified, and an alternate winner may be selected.
* Prizes will ship directly after the contest period is over. Please allow up to 2 to 4 weeks for prize delivery.Classic Movie Hub is not responsible for prizes lost or stolen.
* Friends and Family of Classic Movie Hub are not eligible for entry.
* Classic Movie Hub was not paid for this giveaway or post.
**Up to a total of two Canadian winners will be eligible for prizing during the entire contest period of September 1 through September 30. If two Canadian entrants are selected as winners during that time, further Canadian entrants will no longer be eligible for the remaining period of the contest.