About the Prize:
Behind the Door (1919) (DVD/Blu-Ray dual format edition)
Legendary producer Thomas H. Ince and director Irvin V. Willat made this - "the most outspoken of all the vengeance films" according to film historian Kevin Brownlow - during the period of World War I-inspired American patriotism.
Hobart Bosworth stars as Oscar Krug, a working-class American, who is persecuted for his German ancestry after war is declared. Driven by patriotism, Krug enlists and goes to sea. However, tragedy strikes when his wife (Jane Novak) sneaks aboard his ship and is captured following a German U-boat attack. Krug's single-minded quest for vengeance against the sadistic German submarine commander (played with villainous fervor by Wallace Beery) leads to the film's shocking and brutal climax.
This newly restored edition represents the most complete version of the film available since 1919, thanks to the collaboration of the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, the Library of Congress, and Gosfilmofond of Russia.
Sourced from the only two known remaining prints and referencing a copy of Willat's original continuity script, this edition recreates the original color tinting scheme and features a new score composed and performed by Stephen Horne. Flicker Alley is honored to present Behind the Door on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time ever.
Bonus Materials Include:
- Russian version of Behind the Door - The re-edited and re-titled version of the film that was distributed in Russia, with musical accompaniment by Stephen Horne
- Outtakes from Behind the Door - Featuring music composed and performed by Stephen Horne
- Restoring Irvin Willat's Behind the Door - A behind-the-scenes look at the restoration
- Kevin Brownlow Spotlights Irvin Willat - Film historian and Honorary Academy Award® winner Kevin Brownlow spotlights director Irvin Willat
- Slideshow gallery of stills and promotional material from Behind the Door
- Souvenir Booklet - Featuring rare photographs and essays by film historian Jay Weissburg, film restorer Robert Byrne, and composer Stephen Horne
TO ENTER via TWITTER (Five Chances to Win):
1) Follow @ClassicMovieHub
on twitter for further instructions
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the contest week
One winner will be chosen at random at the end of each specified contest week. The winner will be announced on Twitter the day after the contest week ends
One Prize will be given away each specified contest week during the contest period, for a total giveaway of five Prizes within five weeks.
TO ENTER via FACEBOOK or the CMH Blog (One Chance to Win):
1) Visit us on Facebook
or the CMH Blog
for further instructions on how to enter.
2) Successfully complete a qualifying entry task during the specified contest period.
One winner will be chosen at random at the end of the contest period. The winner will be announced on Facebook and the Blog one day after the contest period ends.
One prize will be given away during the contest period, for a total giveaway of one prize within five weeks.
ELIGIBILITY for both versions of contest (Twitter and Facebook/Blog):
* Limited to Continental United States (excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and the territory of Puerto Rico) only.
* Must be eighteen (18) years old and over as of the date of entry.
* Only one Prize per winner.
* BlogHub Bloggers are eligible to enter.
* Giveaway starts Monday March 27, 2017 and ends on Saturday April 29, 2017 at midnight EST or when all Prizes are exhausted (whichever comes first).
* Each winner will be notified by email, Twitter DM or Facebook and will have 48 hours to respond with their shipping information or a new winner may be chosen. If any Prize or Prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the winner may be disqualified, and an alternate winner may be selected.
* Prizes will ship directly after the contest period is over. Please allow up to 2 to 4 weeks for Prize delivery.Classic Movie Hub is not responsible for Prizes lost or stolen.
*Family of Classic Movie Hub are not eligible for entry.