Luke's Failure in the cave

Created by archer75 on Sep 11, 2016
What is Luke' failure in the cave? He 'fought' Vadar and won. It must be something really obvious but I cant see it.
Reply:

By Phagocyte on Feb 9, 2017
Don't be such a prude! Your moralism is out of place in a galaxy far, far away (and long ago)...
By mcdemuth on Oct 9, 2016
Yoda telling Luke that he didn't need weapons was strange, because JEDI use lightsabers all that time, and going into battle against the SITH without a weapon is stupid. I'm not sure what that was about... But, when I watch the fight scene, it looks like Luke is very angry, and probably filled with hate, because Vader "Killed" his Father, and he let those feelings control his actions, to win the fight... Yoda and Obi-Wan keep telling Luke that those things lead to the Dark Side, and that Luke should mind his feelings. Luke was also told he should be fighting with knowledge and skills, for Defense... Not Attack. When Vader's Mask showed Luke's face, I think that was to tell Luke that his actions were that of someone going to the Dark Side, and that he failed. Just like his father.
By tim-stein on Oct 9, 2016
The fact that we know Leia is his sister makes this creepy and sick AF.
By eyeguy72 on Sep 28, 2016
Great question. I bet he would have seen Leia in a sexy white frock with her hair down and a close-up of her pouty lips beckoning him to take her. Right?
By Ashaod43 on Sep 25, 2016
What would he have seen if he didn't take his weapons?
By DoctorShemp on Sep 22, 2016
I think Luke's failure is that he saw Vader in the first place, and then that he saw himself in the mask. Whatever he saw revealed the fear in his mind
By President_Ackbar_Impeached on Sep 12, 2016
His twin failures were reacting fearfully, and resorting to violence. VOTE FOR PRESIDENT ACKBAR 2016! " ...I assure you, my resolve has never been stronger!"
By Fluke_Skywalker on Sep 12, 2016
Luke's failure is that despite Yoda's insistence that "Your weapons. You will not need them.", he took them anyway, fulfilling Yoda's earlier statement (in response to Luke asking what was inside the cave) "Only what you take with you.". Some see the Vader in the cave revealed to be Luke as a hint of Luke's parentage, but I see it more as Luke's true enemy is himself (his anger and fear).
By tenantennae on Nov 30, -0001
Yoda telling Luke that he didn't need weapons was strange, because JEDI use lightsabers all that time, and going into battle against the SITH without a weapon is stupid. I'm not sure what that was about... There was no Sith in the cave, or anything else he would need his weapons for. It was all in his imagination; a manifestation of his own fear.

error