Why Did Hitch Want the Graveyard To Look So Overgrown?

Created by Negasonic_WoodChipper_Warhead on Sep 1, 2014
It looks a bit wild and unkept, not sure why Hitchcock wanted it that way other than to make it seem a bit creepier perhaps? It's not realistic, most graveyards are pretty well looked after. Now finish up them taters! I'm gonna go fondle my sweaters.
Reply:

By Negasonic_WoodChipper_Warhead on Feb 9, 2017
We'll always have Hitch's overgrown family plot!  That's right! You're about to be killed by a zamboni! ⛄
By oknar1977 on Jan 22, 2016
damn, now every time i see an overgrown graveyard in a film, I remember this topic :D overgrown graveyard spotted: Far from the Madding Crowd (1967) 7 minutes before the end
By oknar1977 on Jan 6, 2016
I just watched The Children's Hour (1961) - there is cemetery scene - overgrown also - which reminded my of this topic here. maybe in 60s/70s village gardens were like that in america - overgrown?
By greenbudgie on Jan 30, 2015
It's neglect did add to the graveyard's creepiness. I wish that the gravedigger had just been a little bit more creepy.
By ecarle on Oct 1, 2014
I think I read somewhere that he indeed asked the cemetery owners to let the grass grow for a couple of weeks before filming there. I expect that he wanted both the creepy effect and to show that Eddie Shoebridge had been laid to rest in a rather disreputable part of town.

error