Prince Tuan cut scene CUT!

Created by larson419-224-29614 on Oct 4, 2016
I have now seen 55DAP three times on TCM and each time the scene ironically of Prince Tuan making the slice motion under his own throat to signal the Boxers to kill the German Minister has been cut. I saw this movie as a kid at a drive-in near Lake Chautauqua the summer it came out. We were on our annual June vacation. (I loved fishing on the lake in a motor boat). A lot of scenes stuck with me and that was one of them. The others of course would be the rocket launched from the tower dragged on the train tracks and as a kid feeling bad for the little orphan girl. Oh yeah and that crazy cannon of the priest. "Bad luck indeed you weren't You praying hard enough." We who know our history are doomed to watch others repeat it.
Reply:

By hobnob53 on Feb 8, 2017
I've seen this film regularly for almost 50 years and never saw a shot of Prince Tu'an making a "slitting throat" motion as a signal to kill the German minister. There is a shot of him giving a nod, and a slight movement of the fingers o one hand as I recall, as his signal to attack (witnessed by Major Lewis) but there was never a "cut throat" signal. No print or DVD release I've seen has this. It's possible you just remember it that way from so long ago. The TCM print is not cut, although they no longer show the overture, entre'acte or closing music (the song "So Little Time") as they once did.

error